When we first conceived of Blizzard, one of our aims was to put some good out into the world around us – outside of putting on a great show.
Initially, we said that we would make cash donations to local charities once we’ve covered the costs of putting on the show. But running a pay-what-you-feel-show means we have an inconsistent income at best and, for all the generosity of our audiences, we’re not making enough to make anything close to a meaningful financial contributions.
So we’ve started getting creative. We recently announced that we’ll be donating to the Trillion Trees Campaign every month on behalf of everyone who backs us $10 or more on Patreon. If you want to support us and have a tree planted in you name, consider backing us here.
We have two shows coming up in December. They are going to be awesome. You can book your free tickets for the first one on Sunday 8th December here. You can book your free tickets for the second one on Thursday 19th December here.
At each of these shows, we’ll be collecting donations to take to local homeless charities. Winter is a tough time of year for anyone who doesn’t have a roof over their head. It was reported earlier this year that more homeless people died in Manchester than in any other local authority area in England and Wales in 2017.
We’re not a hugely influential show, but this we’d like make whatever difference we can.
We’ll be accepting the kind of general essentials that a lot of homeless people are unable to afford, as well as anything that will help people make it through the tough winter months.
Essentials include things like:
- HOT CHOCOLATE! (In high demand lol)
- SUGAR (Also Highly used!)
- Boxers (small to medium), Socks ( men and women), Ladies underwear (sizes 10 and under)
- Sleeping Bags, Sleeping mats, Rucksacks
- Trainers (especially size 8 and upward), Boots (Same)
- Small Joggings Bottoms (Medium and Small)
- Small Jeans (Size 30 down)
- Waterproof Trousers
- Pens, Paper, Pads, Art Materials (We often get asked for these Items! It is nice to have them available)
- Toiletries, Wipes,Hand Gel (the sanitiser kind)
- Cleaning items All welcome but especially
- All-purpose spray, Anti Bac cleaner,washing up liquid, washing powder, Toilet rolls
- Tea Towels,Towels (especially bath towels)
- Hair Clippers! (We have hairdressers who will clipper hair and beards but we go through hair clippers all the time!)
- Sauces (Tomato Brown BBQ Mayonaise)
- Tinned Beans, Tinned Spaghetti, Tinned Tomatoes, Tinned Tuna Hot Dogs, Corned Beef
- GravyGranules, Custard Powder
- Cakes (Long date cupboard type), Sweets, Crisps, Chocolate (very popular), Biscuits
- UHT Milk
- Squash, Vimto
- Forks, Spoons and Tea Spoons (They always go missing!), Mugs
- Carrier Bags, Long Life Bags
If you have things like gloves, hats, hand-warmers, umbrellas, blankets, anything like that which will make being outside in the cold and wet a little less awful, we’ll also been taking those. If you happen to have some lying around that you aren’t using that could help someone else, that would be wonderful. If you have the means to go out and buy something new for the sake of helping someone less fortunate, thank you so much.
If you do want to buy something new, we recommend having a look at the Coffee4Craig Amazon wishlist, which is updated with specific items they need as the year goes on.
If you have any questions for us about our collections, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
If you can’t come to either of our shows in December, but still want to help out, we recommend visiting the websites of local homeless charities and having a look for anything they’re asking for.
Coffee4Craig is a great charity that works directly with individuals who need help. Mustard Tree is another one that focusses on making sure people are placed in the right shelters that will give them the specific help they need. The Street Support Network has a lot of information about what you can do to find and support initiatives in your area, not only in Manchester but across the country.
Thank you. See you in December.