Blizzard Comedy is the brainchild of Non-Binary comedian Jonny Collins. It is a retaliation to the aggressive, drunken atmospheres of many big comedy clubs that put off so many from seeing their favourite comedians live.
Our objectives are simple:
Provide a safe space for audiences
- We believe that audiences shouldn’t fear humiliation at the hands of the acts, or have anxiety related to that. We promise to keep unsolicited audience interaction to a minimum, and a blanket ban on abusive comments.
- There is a risk with watching live comedy that some of you may have triggers/content you’re not comfortable hearing. While it is impossible to completely eradicate this problem, we pledge to content warn audiences where possible. Feel free to contact us with any subject matter that you may struggle with, and we’ll run it by the acts. If there’s any mention of it in any set, we will give you advance warning of what trigger may be mentioned, which act is likely to mention it, and when to duck out should you wish to avoid it. Acts are forbidden from stopping you leaving or drawing attention to it – so you can leave quietly and without fuss.
- All our shows are to be as accessible as possible – many clubs are in basements with no disabled access. We take extra care to only use venues that have adequate disabled access as to not exclude anyone from our nights.
- As much as we think freedom of speech is important, we do not believe that it is necessary to use it to be a bigot. There will be zero tolerance for racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, transphobia, or any other form of prejudice. We will never book acts who feel that their right to freedom of speech is more important than their audience’s well-being.
Give platforms for under-represented and marginalised communities to present their comedy
- As much as some of our favourite comedians are cishet white dudes, we are tired of big clubs only putting these people on. At Blizzard, we vow to get as much cultural, racial, gender & sexuality variety as possible, and regularly host nights to showcase female comedians, comedians of colour, LGBTQIA+ comedians, disabled comedians and more.
- Encourage newer & younger comedians to progress, especially those from marginalised groups.
Being a genuine alternative to mainstream clubs
- The phrase “alternative comedy” is thrown around a lot these days, we at Blizzard aim to follow that label to a tee.
- Showcasing acts who are so radically different from the mainstream that you’ll never catch them on Live at the Apollo.
- No exploitation of open spots. We pay all our acts, and offer progression to our favourite newer acts. There are no traumatic gong shows, just a supportive audience to hone their crafts, and when they’re ready, elevated to longer, higher-paid spots.
And on top of all of this, we make every effort to make our show is available to everyone, regardless of income.
You can also support us by buying merch from our BigCartel store.
Thanks for reading, pop by soon!
Jonny and Kirstie